Friday, November 25, 2016

Imperial Skies - First Battle


Signal Close Action
I am really remiss in getting this posted. After doing a couple of read-throughs of the Imperial Skies rules I was ready to do a quick couple of small-scale battles. As I only had a few ships ready I went with a German raid on a French desert village. The Germans have in both battles a Schleswig-Holstein class Dig Battleship against French destroyers and frigates. In the first fight the Germans also had a destroyer.

What became clear very quickly that battleships are not indestructible, or even all powerful. The SMS Hannover had the advantage of range with her guns but the French frigates could close the range very quickly with their superior speed.

This is not to say that the French survived without loss. One broadside from the SMS Hannover was enough to cripple any of the French ships. The Sirocos while able to maneuver around the larger slower dig, but when they were caught, it would mean damage or loss to the lighter ships.

Rescue Mission
The German also did attempt boarding actions but were not as successful as they wished. I have written to Robin Fitton and he looks to do a more in depth explanation of how to conduct boarding actions. I also have a few ideas of my own.

In the two battles the SMS Hannover was either crippled or destroyed and the raid was a failure, never getting close to the village. As for the French, their squadrons were seriously depleted with 30% to 50% losses but for the survivors, ample medals and rewards.

I look forward to finish painting up the squadrons and running larger battles.

3 comments:

  1. Is the German ship a battleship suspended from a gasbag? I fear I don't understand aeronefs very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Michael. I see a need for a post on how they work.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I hope to play my first game tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete