It is relatively easy to keep him alive until the early 1960s. In doing further further reading (see below) it is possible with a few points of departure (POD) to come up with a plausible naval time line with a war occurring in the late 1950s.
My personal library is rather extensive, consider it a profession liability, when dealing with the Cold War and the Soviet Navy. Here are a few.
- Russian Submarines in the Artic by I Kolyshkin
- Stalin's Ocean-Going Fleet by Jurgen Rohwer and Mikhail S. Monakov
- Submarines of the Russian and Soviet Navies, 1718-1990 by Norman Polmar and Jurrien Noot
- Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines, 1945-2001 by Norman Polmar
- Assorted Jane's Fighting Ships and Conways
- Polmar's Guides to the Soviet Navy